One of the challenges of working with older students is for them to understand the relevance of our sessions to their lives. I know I shouldn’t take it personally, but when my students lament “this is boring” or “why do I need to know this?”, I take it as a wake up call. Their lack of a social filter calls to my attention that I need to bridge the gap between what we are discussing/learning and the practical application of the information.
- Step aside to let others off first
- Keep your stuff to yourself
- Take your pack off your back
- Offer your seat to an elderly, disabled or pregnant person
- Poles are for your safety, not your latest routine
- Clipping? Primping?
- Don’t be a pole hog
- It’s a subway car not a dining car
Have fun working with your students!